Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Lazarus Saturday










As the Church secretary, I type up our parish's weekly Sunday bulletin. When I started on next week and got to Lazarus Saturday, I started weeping.

Coronavirus Quarantine.

Our parish usually has a beautiful Divine Liturgy, followed by a huge Pancake Breakfast together. I just received an email from my dear friend who makes all the pancakes - with the Lenten Pancake recipe for me to email to the other families in our parish. She wanted to make sure everyone could enjoy pancakes even if we couldn't all be together to eat them!



Elizabeth's Lenten Pancakes

1 cup flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp flax meal
3 Tbsp water
3 Tbsp oil
1 cup almond milk

Makes 8-10 pancakes



photo from mangiaregreco.com




Our family usually makes Lazarakia in the afternoon. Very traditional recipes for these Lazarus-shaped buns abound.
But my family enjoys this easier version that I shared this past January at the St. Emmelia South Conference.


Even if you don't have little children at home, I encourage you to give these a try. The adults in my workshop had quite a good time making them. Not one completed Lazarakia looked like another, and they were all great!

EASY LAZARAKIA - adapted from Fabulessly Frugal

refrigerated crescent roll dough for the mummy wrap
chocolate chips for the eyes
peanut butter, jam, or hazelnut spread
bananas, cut in half the length of the banana

Halloween banana mummies
photo from Fabulessly Frugal
Step 1 - pinch 2 triangles into 1 larger rectangle.
Step 2 - cut the sides like shown above
Step 3 - spread a little peanut butter and top with a slice of banada
Step 4 - wrap to look like a mummy
Step 5 - add chocolate chip eyes & bake according to package directions

Now, if only I had the sheet music to practice Rejoice O Bethany! At least we can listen to it.




1 comment:

  1. https://www.antiochianladiocese.org/files/sheet_music/RejoiceOBethany.pdf

    ReplyDelete