Thursday, October 23, 2008

Lenten Lunch Box - Spinach Queso Recipe

spinach "queso" leftover from wednesday
tortilla chips
celery boats with peanut butter



Spinach "Queso"

1. Make a white sauce by melting 1TBS of oil and stirring in 1 TBS of flour, until bubbly. Add 1 cup of rice milk, stirring so as to avoid lumps. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

2. Add 1/2 can of diced tomatoes or crushed tomatoes, a pinch of cumin, a pinch of chili powder, and 2 TBS of nutritional yeast flakes. Nutritional Yeast does NOT have candida and does have protein. I'm not gonna lie... it looks like orange fish food.


Buy it from the local health food store. You can add more unless you don't end up liking the flavor. I've also been known to use rotel tomatoes or salsa, as well as onion dip mix.

3. Cook and stir and adjust seasonings until it seems like good "cheese" sauce.

4. Mix in cooked chopped spinach (I used a box of frozen spinach, cooked in microwave).

5. Serve the first night over rice - yum! Eat leftovers with chips.


Or, use the base for a Pasta Primavera:
Omit the cumin, tomatoes, and chili powder but add broccoli & carrots, then mix in cooked bow-tie pasta.

Has anyone ever tried this book?
I saw it advertised when I found the nutritional yeast link on Amazon. Sounds interesting, though I'm not really wanting to repeat the "cheese" I made my first lent, which involved grinding cashews and gelatin and nutrional yeast and making my own fake block of cheese. But more reasonable ideas are welcome! Like this one for Tofu Pot Pie.

2 comments:

  1. OOooh Dh is lactose intolerant, I'm printing this off! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to try that spinach queso, but not sure about nutritional yeast. I have never even heard of that - although that has never stopped me from trying things before, so I guess I'm going to have to get some and make this.

    I really hope its good and that hubby likes it too, because cheese is really something he misses during fasting. He could live on cheese...ha!

    ReplyDelete