My mother taught me how to make this old-school treat, and it is so yummy!
For the Nativity Fast this year, my focus is quick and easy, and this fits the bill.
Asparagus and Gravy over Toast
1 can of asparagus spears – drain and reserve liquid
2 TBS oil
3 TBS flour
Asparagus liquid plus enough water to = 1 ¾ cups
2 TBS soy sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
5-6 slices of bread
1. Over medium heat, warm oil and then flour and stir, stir, stir until it browns – about 5-10 minutes.
2. Slowly add liquid, whisking to avoid lumps.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce to low and simmer gently for 15 minutes to thicken.
4. Add the soy sauce, season to taste with salt and pepper, and simmer another minute while you toast the bread and warm the asparagus in the microwave.
5. To serve, place toast on a plate, top with asparagus spears and then gravy.
This gravy is also good made with any kind of veggie broth and served with any kind of pasta, rice, potatoes, peas, etc.
I adapted the gravy recipe from The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen by Peter Berley.