Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Getting the Kitchen Ready for Holy Week

Rubbing my head while looking at my shopping list and our church calendar, I asked my husband, "how can I feed our family next week?"

Yes, traditionally adults fast even more strictly this week, as we walk with Jesus through His last days on earth, but those children need some nourishment if we are going to expect them to have energy to put into behaving at church.

So back to my question - what can I feed them when I will not have time to cook large or complicated or even small-but-time-consuming meals?  The Deacon suggested I feed the kids cereal, granola, and oatmeal for supper all week, since that is a quick meal to get in before heading to church. The children were actually excited about that! But if I don't get more protein in them during the day, that cereal won't be enough.

So, here is my plan. It is not a perfect plan, but perhaps it will inspire you to make your own.

Breakfast Ideas:
Protein Powder Baked Oatmeal (I use Katie's recipe but sub vanilla protein powder for the sugar)
Chickpea Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies
Peanut Butter Cinnamon Toast
Life Changing Loaf of Bread - oats, seeds, nuts, flax, chia - super healthy and filling
Pumpkin Muffins (a box of cake mix and a can of pumpkin puree) with Seed/Nut sprinkles


Lunch Ideas:
Noodles with Margarine and cooked and drained Lentils
Taco Soup from freezer (Love this Pioneer Woman recipe - I just sub beans for chicken during Lent and do NOT add the tortillas if you are going to freeze it.)
Beany Cheesy Quesadillas or Soft Tacos - Melissa Naasko's book Fasting as a Family has this great little recipe for Beany Cheesy Spread, which I make (use the smoked paprika!) and keep in a glass jar in the fridge for when I need to fill that craving!



Supper Ideas:
1. Stock up on cereal. (We eat it with orange juice or oat milk).
2. Break down and buy some Veggie Burgers and buns.
3. Popcorn shrimp from the freezer section (they were on sale BOGO last week)
4. Lots of bags of frozen broccoli, green beans, peas, cauliflower - that I can microwave without pulling out the cutting board and knife.

Snacks:
1. Dried fruit, nuts, crackers
2. Make yet one more batch of hummus! (Thanks for the recipe, Daddy!)

This recipe lives on the inside of the cabinet where I keep my food processor

Of course, at some point we'll find time to make Cheese Pascha and Kulich! Almost there....

No comments:

Post a Comment