Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Age of Patriarchs - High School Reading List


The Hospitality of Abraham

This is an incomplete list (no geography, art, music - which I'll just have to add as I go), but enough to get you started. I plan to include with my student the file of Prologue Readings that correspond to the Old Testament. I have not listened to ALL of the linked lectures, but I have taken two other Hillsdale courses that I really appreciated and I have listened to the first couple of lectures of the series linked below. We will also use Roman Roads Media lectures to "set the table" for feasting on the Greek epics. If you are interested in
“beta-testing” this curriculum with me, we can work together throughout the year, sharing specific
discussions and writing assignments that develop from each work. With God's help, I hope to post a week-by-week schedule and a course catechism by the end of this week.


1 year High School Credit in World Literature - Antiquity*
Free Online Hillsdale College Course Great Books 101 (Just lectures 1-7 because 8-11 go with the
Age of Triumph)
Literature and the Liberal Arts at Hillsdale  (just an Intro to the course)
Christ in the Psalms $ to buy

Wisdom, Let us Attend – $ to buy goes with Old Testament
Old Testament of the Bible - along with the corresponding Prologue readings
Tragedy of Julius Caesar by Shakespeare**
Analytical Grammar (or whatever grammar you choose, IF you choose, based on your student)
Jensen’s Format Writing
- for reference when writing essays about the Great Books.
Moses with his Arms Supported by Aaron and Hur - Thomas Brigstocke

1-year High School Credit in Western Civilization - Antiquity***
Free Online Hillsdale College Course Western Heritage (just lectures 1-5 if sticking to Antiquity)
(13 weeks – one week on intro and three weeks on every other lecture)
Do not freak out at the number of readings! Most are around 6-23 page excerpts.

~insert Sparta & Athen here if doing
~ Optional Free Online Hillsdale College Course Sparta & Athens
(inserted in the schedule above after the two Greece lectures and before the Roman)
Why Study the Classics?  (just an Intro to the course)

* Teacher’s Notes for Literature - As a family, we already read children’s/young adult versions of
these stories and watched videos about them, looked at Sparknotes, etc. back in 6th grade.
If your student has not already “met” these books, then I would lay some of that groundwork before
diving into a slow read of the actual book. Furthermore - I would cut out an entire book from the list
and slow down, giving yourselves more time to really understand the books you do read).
I estimate spending one week on the first lecture and 3-6 weeks on each book after that.
We will start each of the Great Books by watching the lecture together with my student and discussing it.
We’ll both take notes so we have a written record of what we are going to notice while we read.
I'll check my notes against my student's and mentor him in the skill of note-taking. Also, we’ll write questions.
The next day we’ll watch the Q&A and see if any of our questions are answered. Then we will start
slow reading and discussing our way through it, perhaps along with a high-quality audio recording.  
My student is working on a fictional writing project on the side, and I plan to point out some literary
techniques that I think he could use in his own writing (like extended metaphors, for example).
We will ask and try to answer questions as we go, trying to use Orthodox resources to shed light on the
text and help us learn. Ideally, we will time it so that the History lectures and readings precede the literature,
so that we have a better understanding of the world of the author before starting each story. Each book will
have a writing assignment, either applying techniques from the book to my student’s own book, or an essay
reflecting on some aspect of virtue or vice or literary technique in the book.
** If we have time we’ll include Julius Caesar - we might do this during the summer as a whole family using
Charlotte Mason’s method of teaching Shakespeare: 1) read a good story version like Charles and Mary Lamb,
2) listen to a good audio recording or watch a movie, 3) close reading & acting out particular chapters.
This play lends itself very well to the study of rhetoric, with great dialogue as Cassius tries to persuade
Brutus, Portia tries to persuade Brutus, Calpurnia tries to persuade Caesar - those are the scenes we would
close read and annotate for the tools of rhetoric used in the three appeals - logos, ethos, pathos)

2 comments:

  1. Could I have your permission to use this for the Orthodox history/literature curriculum I am working on for the Department of Homeschooling? When I finish, I plan on offering it up free on the website, inshallah. I probably won't be cutting and pasting it wholesale, but this looks like a great progression of books! Thanks for putting this out here! Kh. Nicole Damick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! Just please cite your source and link to this page.

    ReplyDelete