Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Tofu Spanikopita Recipe


This is adapted from one of my favorite fasting cookbooks: The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen by Peter Berley. Some of my modifications were based on family preferences, some on price, and some on what I could buy in our local store. This might be the only Spanikopita recipe you'll ever see that used Puff Pastry dough instead of Phyllo, but that's all I could find.

Obviously, I whole-heartedly encourage you to make it better by baking it to fit your life.

Gather up these Ingredients:
2 TBS olive oil
4 cups of thinly sliced onions
2 TBS chopped garlic
3 bay leaves
1 tsp dried oregeno
salt & pepper
1 box of frozen chopped spinach
1 bunch of turnip greens
1 lb. of extra firm tofu, rinsed & squeezed
2 TBS lemon juice
box of puff pastry

Really, like so many fasting dishes, the onions probably make this dish. The first step is so close to M'Jeddrah.


The Steps
1. Simmer oil, onions, garlic, bay leaves, oregano, and 2 tsp of salt for 25-30 minutes

2. Microwave the spinach according to package directions. Don't overcook it.

3. Those pile of greens. So pretty, but what to do?


Get your kids to tear the greens into little pieces after you rip them off the stalks. Drop them into a bowl of cool water to rinse the dirt off.

4. Transfer the greens to a large pot and steam over high heat, covered, for 5 minutes or so. Drain them in a colander then chop them up smaller. Now that I think about it, I don't think you have to tear them into little pieces before you steam them - just destalk them. I just needed an occupation for the toddler, so I added that step. Preheat the oven to 350.

5. Mash the tofu in another bowl. Add the greens, spinach, lemon juice, onion mixture, and salt & pepper to taste. Mix well.

At this point, you could just eat this like a salad, honestly. In fact, I think I saved some away for my lunch the next day.

6. Lay one of the puff pastry layers on a greased pan. Brush it with olive oil. Spread the filling over the layer. Top it with the 2nd layer and brush with more olive oil.

7. Bake at 350 for 70 minutes or until nice and golden.

8. Invite some girls over who will appreciate this meal, because the husband and kids probably won't. Yeh, I know, they helped tear the leaves and everything. Still didn't like to eat it.

9. Give thanks to God for such lovely provisions.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! My husband really wants to try it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this! I hope I can make it soon!

    ReplyDelete