Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Passion Flower for the Pascha Season



This flower poses so unusual a picture that when a Native Mexican monk first sketched it and sent the image to a botanist in Spain, the botanist refused to publish it in his book. He thought the monk had made it up.

Often the flower is associated with Christ. The 3 stamen are for the 3 nails. The 5 anthers are for the 5 wounds of Christ. The circle of filaments is His crown of thorns.

The vine has a reputation of being hardy and invading the garden, but I've been waiting almost 4 years for my puny cutting to get past the "surviving" stage and actually bloom. Just when I had given up on it, this unusual flower decided it was time to make an entrance.

The earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof.

4 comments:

  1. That is the most unusual flower I've ever seen! Lovely!

    I wonder if it would grow in my garden? Hmm...I'll have to check it out.

    Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a trailing Passion Flower in my garden, which blooms prolifically, but not just yet !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just lovely...I remember the first time I saw one in person, just a few years ago I was stunned...it is so exotic and beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are a favorite of mine, both for the flowers and the caterpillars that the leaves attract. :-)

    ReplyDelete