Saturday, April 12, 2008

Gardening

The seeding pot was my Mother's Day gift last year.

The tomaotes are much cuter in this picture than they are now, out in the garden. Now they languish, a pale yellow-green shadow of what they should be.

Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew explains:

If more gardeners fully understood ahead of time the work and nuisance involved in the hardening-off process, they wouldn't be in such a hurry to start their seeds extra early each year... The problem comes in the fact that the transplant has been grown under protected, almost ideal conditions. Inside there's lots of sunlight, warm air, protection from night freezing, plenty of water, perfect soil, lots of nutrients, few pests, no wind, no pelting rain, hail, or snow - sounds pretty nice, doesn't it? Now try to move that plant out into the hostil garden world where encironmental conditions are just the opposite and it will probably succumb in a short while.

I'm thinking 3 things:

1. Oh, Lord have mercy on impatient me.

2. Will I ever succeed in gardening? Maybe with the new seedlings I put in from the high school...

3. I'm thankful that God keeps better care of me than I do of my plants!

No comments:

Post a Comment