Friday, September 29, 2017

Prayers During Miscarriage

It turns out that portions of the Orthodox prayers for a Mother and Unborn Child - which are meant to be said throughout a normal, healthy pregnancy - also make encouraging prayers for a mother going through a miscarriage. If she has found out her baby has passed away within her womb and must still deliver him, she might find help for the next days in these words.


"...O Lord Jesus Christ, into Thine almighty and paternal hands do I entrust my child. Place him upon the right hand of Thy grace, and through Thy Holy Spirit sanctify him and renew him unto life everlasting, that he may be a communicant of Thy Heavenly Kingdom. Amen."

* * *

"O All-Merciful Christ our God, look down and protect me, Thy handmaiden, from fear and from evil spirits that seek to destroy the work of Thy hands. And when my hour and time is come, deliver me by Thy grace.

Look with compassionate eye and deliver me, Thy handmaiden, from pain. Lighten mine infirmity in the time of my travail and grant me fortitude and strength for birthgiving, and hasten it by Thine almighty help.

For this is Thy glorious work, the power of Thine omnipotence, the work of Thy grace and tender-heartedness. Amen."

* * *

"My most gracious Queen, my hope, O Mother of God, the joy of those in sorrow, help me, for I am helpless..."


By God's grace and the prayers of many, I am now walking through the days after my second miscarriage. They were the most tiny twins. Glory to God for all things.

May you never need these prayers, but if you do, I pray that you will find consolation in them.  Also, you might find help at Matushka Anna's website, which offers "practical help for miscarriage from an Orthodox Christian perspective."

2 comments:

  1. You are still in my prayers. Thanks for posting the link to Lost Innocents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thankful for your website!

    ReplyDelete