Monday, July 21, 2008

Train Trips and Evening Prayers


As we were bumping downing the tracks, the sun started to set, which brought to my mind the hymn "O Gladsome Light". So, we decided to say our evening prayers. When we got to the part where Little Builder adds his personal intercessions, he mentioned the obligatory friends and family, then added this:

Pray that the Train Driver doesn't fall asleep and
that he doesn't throw-up.


:) Sure.

I love to hear my children pray. The baby doesn't have words, but will stand in front of our Prayer Corner and chant her own sounds, then touch her head and bend down to touch the floor. Gifts from God, these children are.


One mom asked what we do for our evening prayers. Currently we use a shortened version of Vespers with lots of songs.


Our Typical Evening Prayers

1 - Bless the Lord, Oh My Soul (Psalm 103)

2 - Blessed is the Man... (Psalm 1)

3 - Personal Intercessions (for train drivers and such; upon the advice of the baby's Godmother, we use the format in the back of the Orthdox Study Bible but severely shorten it for kids... I'll post that one day)

4 - Lord, I call Upon Thee, Hear Me (Psalm 141)LORD, I call upon Thee, hear me. Hear me O Lord
Lord, I call upon Thee, hear me. Receive the voice of my prayer
when I call upon Thee. Hear me, O Lord.

Let my prayer arise in Thy sight as incense
and let the lifting up of my hands
be an evening sacrifice. Hear me O Lord.


5 - Oh Gladsome Light

6 - THE EVENING PRAYER (Kataxioson from Horologian)Vouchsafe, O Lord, to keep us this evening without sin. Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our fathers, and praised and glorified is Thy Name forever. Amen.

Let Thy mercy be upon us, O Lord, even as we have set our hope on Thee. Blessed art Thou, O Lord; teach me Thy statutes. Blessed art Thou, O Master; make me to understand Thy commandments. Blessed art Thou, O Holy One; enlighten me with Thy precepts.

Thy mercy, O Lord, endureth forever. O despise not the works of Thy hands. To Thee belongeth worship, to Thee belongeth praise, to Thee belongeth glory: to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit; now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.


7 - Luke 2:28-30 (Song of Simeon)
LORD, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word.
For mine eyes have seen thy salvation,
Which thou hast prepared before the face of all people;
To be a light to lighten the Gentiles and to be the glory of thy people Israel.


8 - Rejoice oh Virgin Theotokos, Mary full of grace the Lord is with Thee
Blessed are thou among women and blessed is the fruit of they womb,
For you have born the Savior of our souls.


9 - Hymn to the Theotokos from the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom
It is truly meet and right to bless you, O Theotokos,
Ever-blessed and most-pure mother of our God.
More honourable than the Cherubim,
And beyond compare more glorious than the Seraphim,
Who without corruption gave birth to God the Word,
True Theotokos: we magnify you.


10 - Benediction
Through the Prayers of our Holy Fathers, oh Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us, Amen

Just so you know, it takes only about 10 minutes-- just right for the 5 year old and 1 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment